According to the Ministry of Health, there are today 17,522 new community cases of COVID-19, with 696 in hospital.
Figures released by the ministry do not state whether cases in hospital are ‘with’ or ‘for’ COVID.
- Cases in hospital: total number 696: Northland: 7; North Shore: 136; Middlemore: 195; Auckland: 189; Waikato: 53; BOP: 23; Rotorua: 7; Tairawhiti: 2; Hawke’s Bay: 8; Taranaki: 6; MidCentral: 13; Wairarapa: 3; Hutt Valley: 7; Capital and Coast: 24; Nelson Marlborough: 4; Canterbury: 14; Southern: 5.
- Average age of current hospitalisations: 57
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 13
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (78 cases / 16.5%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (13 cases / 2.8%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (173 cases / 36.9%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (114 cases / 24.3%); unknown (91 cases / 19.4%)
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 17,921
- Number of new community cases: 17,522
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 897
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 16,625
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (509), Auckland (7,639), Waikato (1,541), Bay of Plenty (1,174), Lakes (475), Hawke’s Bay (435), MidCentral (400), Whanganui (95), Taranaki (311), Tairāwhiti (217), Wairarapa (99), Capital and Coast (1,545), Hutt Valley (837), Nelson Marlborough (329), Canterbury (1,308), South Canterbury (82), Southern (506), West Coast (14); Unknown (6)
- Number of new cases identified at the border: 11 (3 confirmed, 8 probable)
- Number of active community cases (total): 192,492 (cases identified in the past 10 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 239,535
According the MOH:
* While still early in the Omicron outbreak, the figures show that, based on the data available, unvaccinated people are four times over-represented in the current hospitalisation data. Just 3% of eligible people aged 12 and over in New Zealand have had no doses of the vaccine, however, of the eligible people in Northland and Auckland hospitals with COVID-19, 13% have had no doses of the vaccine.
However, question marks are being raised as to how the ministry is calculating, ‘percentage of the population’ when it was revealed by MidCentral Health that DHBs were not using actual population statistics, but instead were using figures ‘based on the number of people who interacted with the DHB over the last 12-24 months’, leading many to suspect the regional vaccination rates published by the ministry are higher than what they really are, and are therefore not accurate.
There is also no information from the ministry on whether unvaccinated hospitalised cases are due to such patients being admitted specifically for COVID, or were admitted for other medical reasons.