Sunday, August 23, 2026

Latest

Detective in charge of ‘Baby Ru’ homicide investigation gives update

Baby Ru case
‘Baby Ru’ (L), Fabric tied around Baby Ru’s neck when he was taken to hospital.

The death of ‘Baby Ru’ in Lower Hutt occurred over three months ago without any charges being laid so far.

Detective Inspector Nick Pritchard, the officer in charge, revealed new details to state-subsidised legacy media out NZ Herald. He praised the dedication of a full-time team working on the case, sifting through significant information, and awaiting forensic analysis.

Police have not ruled out the death being accidental, noting injuries consistent with blunt force trauma but lacking a definitive cause.

Crucial evidence, including a hard drive with CCTV footage, was removed from the scene, and police have strong evidence regarding who was responsible for tampering with the evidence. Despite conducting numerous search warrants, crucial items are still missing, and three persons of interest have not been ruled in or out, urging them to provide ‘more comprehensive’ accounts of the events.

The investigation faces challenges in corroborating accounts due to inconsistent stories among persons of interest, as ‘strong evidence’ was needed to proceed with charges.

The timeline of Baby Ru’s injuries and the sequence of events leading to his hospitalisation have been partially reconstructed, but mysteries like the purpose of a piece of fabric found around the child’s neck at the hospital remain unresolved.

The police team is committed to achieving justice for Baby Ru, he said. The investigation team continues to review evidence and pursue leads, acknowledging that the case may take time to resolve, said Pritchard.

They have also called for public assistance in locating a specific Nissan Sentra and various electronic devices linked to the disposal of evidence.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

1 COMMENT

  1. 1) Blunt force trauma.
    2)Attempted tampering of evidence.
    3)Missing CCTV footage.
    4)Conflicting stories.
    5)Something tied around the child’s neck.

    “Police have not ruled out the death being accidental…”

    Are they really THAT clueless? 😒😑

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
12.7 ° C
13.8 °
11.6 °
88 %
13.4kmh
100 %
Sat
16 °
Sun
16 °
Mon
15 °
Tue
15 °
Wed
15 °




Sponsored



Latest

Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion