Saturday, May 23, 2026

Latest

US launches military ‘readiness’ drills in Middle East

President Donald Trump has warned that “there is another beautiful armada floating beautifully towards Iran right now”.

The US has initiated large-scale, multi-day military exercises across the Middle East. The drills coincide with President Donald Trump’s announcement of an additional naval deployment, escalating a tense standoff with Iran.

US Air Forces Central (AFCENT) stated on Tuesday that the “readiness exercise” is designed to demonstrate the rapid deployment and sustainment of combat aircraft. The operation reportedly aims to validate procedures for dispersing personnel and jets to various “contingency locations” and integrating command with unnamed “partner nations.”

“This is about upholding our commitment to maintaining combat-ready Airmen and the disciplined execution required to keep airpower available when and where it’s needed,” AFCENT commander Lieutenant General Derek France said.

The air drills complement a major naval buildup. US Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, accompanied by guided-missile destroyers, entered the region earlier this week.

The US has also moved additional F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets, Patriot missile batteries, and THAAD air defense systems to the Middle East.

“There’s another beautiful armada floating beautifully towards Iran right now,” Trump said on Tuesday, adding that he hopes Tehran will “make a deal.” He previously stated that the naval force near Iran is larger than the one used in the Venezuelan operation.

These military movements follow weeks of extreme tension, during which Trump reportedly came close to ordering strikes to “punish” Tehran for its crackdown on violent anti-government protests. While he has yet to make a final decision, an unnamed Gulf official told Middle East Eye that Washington is weighing precision strikes against Iranian officials and military commanders.

Iran has responded with defiant warnings against “any miscalculations.” Government spokesperson Fatemeh Mohajerani stated that Tehran is “fully prepared” for a war, saying a US attack would provoke a “swift and comprehensive” response. This mirrors prior warnings from Iranian military commanders that their forces have their “finger on the trigger.”

The crisis stems from widespread anti-government protests in Iran initially triggered by economic decline, which officials said left around 3,000 dead. Tehran blames the US and Israel for instigating and fueling the unrest to justify military intervention.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

7 COMMENTS

  1. On go on, do it. I’ll wager Iran will have nukes before the year is over, if you do. That’s assuming its not already the case.

  2. Teheran has a big mouth for a country with zero air defense. In the very recent 12 day war……IDF Jets were refueling in Iranian air space on Day 2. That is next level trolling of a non existent air defense. Reminds me of Saddam Hussein promising the mother of all battles. The Iraqi’s died in droves.
    This Iran scenario – may be different but – the end result would be the same. Iranian Military and IRGC would be decimated in quick succession.
    Just deserts for that Blood thirsty regime.

      • What a load of bollocks Netanyahu speaks in that article. Why believe anything he says. He speaksnoit both sides of his mouth.

        “We don’t want war with Iran” meanwhile mossad provocatuers inside iran stir shit, killing protestors and police/security, burn mosques, fire stations, ambulances.
        All as a pretext to get their controlled media to parrot their propaganda, manufacturing consent for an attack.

        They are doing this to claim later when they are attacked by Iran, that they were an innocent party.

        Only complete idiots believe their clqims at this point

    • That may have been the case with refeuling over Iran, I guess we have to take your word for it. On the other hand though, Israel had to get their big bully brother to step in because their air defence was spent and progressively more and more important targets were being hit by Iranian missiles. Since the US has been sabre rattling again for Netanyahu, Russian and Chinese transport planes have been landing in Iran. It is believed they have air defense systems and electronic warfare systems on board.

      Also, Iran has not used it’s more advanced drones or missiles yet. I would check your hubris. As soon as an attack is detected, it will be gloves off. Who knows what could be destroyed and lost.

      It was Reza Shah Pahlavi that changed the name from Persia to Iran to help national identity and reflect it’s aryan roots in 1935. Does his descendant, the Israeli stooge wish to reverse this, or just Israel?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
12.8 ° C
13.8 °
12 °
82 %
4.6kmh
100 %
Sat
13 °
Sun
14 °
Mon
14 °
Tue
14 °
Wed
13 °




Sponsored



Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

More News