Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Latest

$12m boost to intensify yellow-legged hornet eradication efforts in Auckland

Eradication of yellow-legged hornet stepped up
Image – mpi.govt.nz.

The Government has committed an additional $12 million to strengthen efforts to eradicate the invasive yellow-legged hornet in Auckland, following confirmed detections on the North Shore earlier this year.

Biosecurity Minister Andrew Hoggard said the funding would cover the cost of the response through to 30 June 2026, giving authorities what he described as the best possible chance to eliminate the threat before it becomes established.

The hornet is a known predator of honeybees and poses a significant risk to New Zealand’s environment, primary industries and wider economy. Hoggard said preventing its spread was critical to protecting pollination, agricultural productivity and the livelihoods that depend on them.



Of the total funding, Biosecurity New Zealand will contribute $2 million from its existing baseline budget, with the remaining $10 million coming from reprioritised funds. The Government has also signalled it may consider further funding if response costs increase.

Biosecurity New Zealand is working alongside industry partners under the Government Industry Agreement, which includes cost-sharing arrangements, and is engaging directly with beekeepers and their representative groups. Officials say local and international expertise continues to guide the response as authorities move quickly to contain and eradicate the pest.

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here




Sponsored



Trending

Sport