Saturday, May 23, 2026

Latest

Trump claims Netanyahu will scale back strikes on Lebanon

Israel has nonetheless continued to pound the neighboring country, according to local media.

US President Donald Trump has said he asked Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to scale back the bombing of Lebanon as Gulf countries and some NATO members insisted that a ceasefire in the area must be part of a broader truce with Iran.

Despite Trump’s assertion, Lebanese media reported Israeli strikes across the country on Friday morning. An estimated 1,800 people have been killed in Israeli strikes in Lebanon since the start of the escalation in the Middle East, with more than 300 dying on Wednesday alone. The attacks triggered significant public outcry, including from US allies in the EU.



Iran has insisted that fighting in Lebanon must cease as part of the two-week truce framework with the US – something Washington and the Jewish state have opposed.

The exact outlines of a potential US-Iran peace deal remain unclear, after Iranian media shared a plan envisaging non-aggression, Tehran’s control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz, acceptance of some uranium enrichment, stopping Israeli attacks on Hezbollah, and the lifting of all sanctions. The US previously opposed many of the terms.

As the tentative US-Iran truce appears to be generally holding in the broader Gulf, Trump warned that Iran had “better stop” charging fees from vessels passing through the Strait of Hormuz, after the Islamic Republic vowed to take the management of the strategic waterway to a “new stage.”

Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited and under the control of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has published a map of “designated routes” citing the risk of mines.

President Trump previously said that American forces “will remain in place in, and around, Iran” until Tehran fully complies with the “real agreement.”

Trump has also lashed out at NATO over the perceived lack of support in the Iran war. According to media reports, Washington is considering pulling out its troops to “punish” states that were most reluctant to participate.

There are increasing signs that Israel’s continued strikes in Lebanon could derail the US-Iran two-week ceasefire, with leading American economist Jeffrey Sachs telling RT that Israel is now a “rogue state” and urging an end to its offensive.

Oil industry executives are pressing the White House to oppose Iran’s plan to charge tolls on ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Politico.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

Source:RT News

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

6 COMMENTS

  1. With regards to the picture with the gathering of the genocidal war criminals; where’s the nuclear hand grenade when you need one?

  2. Before any talking, Iran insists Lebanon included in ceasefire and also release of blocked Iranian funds https://www.nytimes.com/live/2026/04/10/world/iran-war-trump-israel-lebanon

    That’s before any talks, not during, nor after.

    It’s fair enough that Iran wants their own assets back. Iran has had heaps of assets frozen by other countries since 1979 https://www.ainvest.com/news/iran-100-billion-frozen-assets-2604/

    https://www.euronews.com/business/2026/04/09/could-billions-in-frozen-iranian-assets-help-the-us-unlock-a-deal

    The USA has authorized the release of a small fraction of these assets to be transferred in a couple of days https://www.threads.com/@7he_reason/post/DW9gzIWkaov/us-authorized-the-release-of-billion-usd-in-frozen-iranian-funds-with-qatari

    That small release is a small start but it remains to be seen whether or not the USA and Israel will keep demonstrating good faith

  3. Whats that old saying about war only being delayed to the benefit of others? I don’t think this will benefit Iran, nor do I think this so called ceasefire will last.

  4. So sack-of-sh*t coward trump politely “asked” the most vile filthy rotten evil scumbag on the planet to “scale back” on their mutual genocide and mass-murder programs…. And hey, we can then both get together at the whitehouse sometime and have coffee and cookies and we can reside in the finest ballrooms and get pampered and served as we are both wonderful special important people, and everything is all just fine and dandy and we can both just live our special and important lives as the great and famous heros that we are….

  5. Whenever any media report doesn’t make any sense, I dig and dig for more information on the topic – and via this process, I found several dozen new websites for news over the past 6 weeks, and I now look at around 4 of them regularly for news. In this context, I found this report about western media illuminating…. https://wanaen.com/western-media-analyzes-ceasefire-85-perceive-u-s-retreat/

    NZ’s mainstream media therefore sits within the moronic minority 15% of western media while the majority 85% of western media outside of NZ seems more useful media to consume.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
12.4 ° C
12.8 °
12 °
91 %
5.1kmh
100 %
Sat
13 °
Sun
14 °
Mon
14 °
Tue
13 °
Wed
13 °




Sponsored



Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

More News