Saturday, May 23, 2026

Latest

US counterterrorism chief resigns in protest over Iran war

Washington has been dragged into another “never-ending” war by Israel and its “powerful American lobby,” Joe Kent has said.

Joe Kent, head of the US National Counterterrorism Center, has resigned in protest over Washington’s war with Iran, saying that Israel has dragged the US into another “never‑ending” conflict that does not serve American interests.

A former military officer who also served in the CIA, Kent was nominated by US President Donald Trump for the position of counterterrorism chief in February 2025 and confirmed by the Senate in July of the same year. He completed 11 combat tours, mostly in Iraq, before leaving the military in 2018.

“I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran. Iran posed no imminent threat to our nation,” Kent said in a resignation letter he posted on X on Tuesday. He also stated that “it is clear that we started this war due to pressure from Israel and its powerful American lobby.”



Washington and West Jerusalem launched unprovoked attacks on the Islamic Republic late last month while blaming Tehran for the conflict and openly seeking regime change. The US and Israel described the operation as a preemptive strike aimed at preventing Tehran from building a nuclear weapon – an ambition it denies.

Kent claimed that Trump fell victim to a misinformation campaign orchestrated by Israel that deceived him into believing Tehran was a threat. Similar lies were used to drag the US into war with Iraq back in 2003, he argued.

“We cannot make this mistake again,” the outgoing counterterrorism chief stated. “I cannot support sending the next generation off to fight and die in a war that serves no benefit to the American people nor justifies the cost of American lives,” he added.

The announcement came just a day after Axios reported that Trump was allegedly considering the seizure of Iran’s Kharg Island offshore oil hub in a move that would likely require a ground operation.

US-Israeli attacks have already reportedly killed over 1,000 Iranian civilians, triggering retaliatory attacks across the Middle East that effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz – a key oil and gas shipping lane.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

Source:RT News

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

9 COMMENTS

  1. He was suspected of leaking US intelligence and had been shut out…. Of course he would resign … He knew his time was up in such a position!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
12.8 ° C
13.8 °
12 °
82 %
4.6kmh
100 %
Sat
13 °
Sun
14 °
Mon
14 °
Tue
14 °
Wed
13 °




Sponsored



Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

More News