Saturday, August 22, 2026

Latest

Israel pounds southern Lebanon in new wave of strikes

Israeli warplanes launched another series of strikes across southern Lebanon early on Friday, hitting areas around Nabatieh as tensions with Hezbollah continue despite a June truce.

Lebanese media reported that aircraft targeted Kfar Rumman, on the outskirts of Nabatieh, as well as the nearby Ali al-Taher Heights. Video from the area showed large explosions illuminating the night sky, while Israeli artillery reportedly struck several other locations across the south.

The Ali al-Taher Heights occupy strategically important ground overlooking Nabatieh and roads approaching the city. Israel says Hezbollah has maintained underground military infrastructure in the area and has repeatedly attacked the heights in recent weeks.

The latest strikes come despite a US-brokered framework agreed in June intended to bring the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah to an end. The arrangement provides for a gradual Israeli withdrawal, deployment of the Lebanese Army and the disarmament of Hezbollah. Implementation has stalled amid disagreement over the order in which those measures should take place.



Friday’s bombardment follows deadly Israeli attacks in southern Lebanon on August 15 that Lebanese officials said killed 11 people, making them among the deadliest strikes since the June agreement. Israel said those operations were directed against Hezbollah infrastructure.

The continuing violence is closely connected to the wider confrontation involving Israel, Hezbollah and Iran. Hezbollah, a longstanding Iranian ally, resumed attacks against Israel in March following the killing of Iran’s supreme leader, triggering a major Israeli military campaign involving both air and ground operations.

Although large-scale fighting eased after the June truce, Israeli strikes inside Lebanon have continued.

Beirut has repeatedly condemned the attacks and demanded a complete Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory. Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam described last week’s deadly strikes as “extremely dangerous”, while insisting that any Hezbollah military infrastructure inside Lebanon should be dealt with by the Lebanese state rather than Israel.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

1 COMMENT

  1. Israeli we’re getting it right
    Nothing to do with the biblical Israelites
    Anyone who calls the Jews Israel
    Is calling Jesus YAHWASUA a liar
    The only place You may get traction on that is at Your friendly Judeo Christian corner kike Church
    People are destroyed through a lack of knowledge
    Stop giving heed to Jewish fables that detract from the truth

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
clear sky
11.3 ° C
12.6 °
10.9 °
73 %
10.3kmh
7 %
Fri
11 °
Sat
16 °
Sun
16 °
Mon
13 °
Tue
15 °




Sponsored



Latest

Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion