Police updates for 22 April 2022.
Two men charged for unlawful hunting near Kawerau
Two men have been arrested and charged in relation to unlawful hunting on a forestry block near Kawerau on Wednesday 20 April.
The men were found hunting on Tui Glen Farm.
One of the men was a firearms licence holder, and his licence will now be subject to revocation procedures.
A 31-year-old man will be appearing in Whakatāne District Court on 26 April.
A 27-year-old man will be appearing in Tauranga District Court on 29 May.
Police are very concerned about this type of offending as it can be extremely dangerous.
Unlawful hunting puts other people who may be in the area at risk and it could have potentially fatal consequences.
Police urge all landowners and managers to call Police immediately if they discover people unlawfully on their land.
They can be assured appropriate action will be taken.
Hunters must obtain permission from the landowner or permits from the Department of Conservation.
Arrests and stolen vehicles recovered in Manurewa
Police in Manurewa have made multiple apprehensions after patrols came across stolen vehicles travelling through the area overnight.
In the first incident, a stolen Volkswagen Tiguan was seen driving on Wordsworth Road at 9.45pm.
Inspector Rod Honan, Area Commander for Counties Manukau Central, says the vehicle had allegedly been stolen in a commercial burglary earlier this week in Mt Wellington.
On seeing the Police unit, the stolen vehicle was driven off at speed.
“Our staff did not pursue this vehicle, instead Eagle had deployed to the area and continued to provide observations on the vehicle’s movements.
“It has continued to drive dangerously until reaching Maplesden Drive where the driver fled.”
Inspector Honan says Police arrived in the area and located the man at a nearby address.
A 28-year-old man, who is a patched Killer Beez member, was arrested at the scene without further incident. He was also allegedly in possession of methamphetamine at the time.
“This offender had multiple warrants for his arrest on unrelated matters, which he will now face court on,” says Inspector Honan.
“He will also be facing multiple charges for driving offences, possession of methamphetamine and failing to stop.”
In a later incident, Police became aware of a stolen Toyota Aqua travelling on the Southern Motorway at 1.18am.
Inspector Honan says Police observed this vehicle exit at Hill Road and turn into Charles Prevost Drive.
It has continued to travel around in a loop before spikes were successfully deployed and the vehicle was safely brought to a stop on the Hill Road on-ramp.
Police took the vehicle’s four occupants into custody without further incident. All will be referred to Youth Aid.
“I would like to acknowledge the work of our staff in safely bringing these matters to a safe conclusion, as well as recovering these two vehicles which had been stolen,” says Inspector Honan.
Two people charged following Edgecumbe serious assault
Kawerau and Edgecumbe Police have charged two Edgecumbe men in relation to a serious assault in the town earlier this month.
Two victims were assaulted at an Edgecumbe bar on 9 April, with one suffering serious facial injuries.
A 31-year-old man and a 30-year-old man have been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and assault with intent to injure.
The two men have also been charged with a burglary of an Edgecumbe address on 5 April.
They will be appearing in Whakatāne District Court today.
Further arrests made in incident on Orini Road
Police have arrested and charged two further people in relation to the incident on Orini Road in the early hours of Saturday, 19 March.
During the incident a milk tanker was stopped by a group of people and cars. A significant amount of milk was emptied from the tanker and a hammer was used to smash the windscreen.
Inspector Will Loughrin, Waikato West Area Commander said that police acting on information received executed two search warrants and a 17-year-old male was arrested on Thursday.
Police located two imitation firearms at these search warrants. One of the imitation firearms had been observed by members of the public during the incident on Orini Road.
The 17-year-old will face charges of unlawful possession of an imitation firearm, incites disorderly behaviour and sustained loss of traction.
Last week, a 19-year-old man was charged with sustained loss of traction. He also had his vehicle impounded and is due to reappear next month in the Huntly District Court.
These arrests come after an 18-year-old man was arrested and charged with Wilful Damage, Disorderly Behaviour likely to cause Violence, and Possession of an Offensive Weapon last month.
“Police take this type of offending very seriously and these arrests are a clear indication of that. We welcome help and information from the community which can help us prevent this type of antisocial behaviour. This type of behaviour won’t be tolerated and we will continue to actively investigate and act on information provided to us.”
Enquiries continue into locating two further 18-year-old men in relation to this matter.
We are committed to holding all offenders to account and keeping our roads safe.
If you have any information which could assist Police with our investigation, please contact Police on 105 and quote file number 220320/4139.