16.3 C
Auckland
Sunday, May 26, 2024

Popular Now

Record 50,000 homes consented in a year – Poto Williams

The last twelve months have been the busiest on record for new home consents reflecting ongoing support for the biggest Government building programme in decades, says Minister for Building and Construction Poto Williams.

“Today’s figures show this Government is building more houses than ever before and that we are on track to delivering the homes New Zealand needs. It also shows our economic recovery continuing to gain momentum,” Poto Williams said.

Housing consents news

“I am pleased to see a significant increase in multi-unit homes in Auckland driving this growth. Increasing housing density in urban areas will support more people to live closer to work, public transport, and community facilities,” Poto Williams said.

“Not only does this show more homes are being built for our whānau, but the strong growth in the sector is creating more jobs for our communities as we continue to secure our economic recovery,” Poto Williams said.

“Construction has been one of the fastest growing industries in terms of employment,” Poto Williams says. “Latest data shows there were an additional 13,225 jobs in the industry in March when compared to the same time last year.”

“This has been a year unlike any other” said Poto Williams. “While the sector is still very much facing the ongoing effects of the pandemic, we are continuing to support the sector to increase capacity and capability to meet demand.”

“Supply chain disruptions are a global phenomenon impacting economies worldwide. While there is no quick fix to these issues, there are a number of cross-government initiatives underway to address supply chain disruptions that focus on better information and planning, and medium-to longer-term work, including the Ministry of Transport inter-agency supply chain forum,” Poto Williams said.

Summary:

  • In the year ended March 2022, 50,858 new homes were consented, up 24 per cent from the March 2021 year.
  • 21,477 new homes were consented in Auckland in the year ended March 2022, driven largely by an increase in multi-unit dwellings.
  • 5,303 new homes were consented in March 2022 alone.

Promoted Content

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

3 COMMENTS

  1. Consents chase the past demand and not the future demand. Inflation is going to run double digits, largely driven by Fed rate rises, and hence no chance of building houses at an affordable prices. So the actual number built will fall to about 10,000 and not anywhere near 50,000.

  2. What qualification and experience this woman has on house building or anthing relating to her allotted ministry such as policing? As far as I know she has a third grade degree from a polytechnic glorified as “Southern Cross University”.

    Jabcinda’s clowns….

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

Wellington
scattered clouds
12 ° C
12.3 °
10.6 °
75 %
4.6kmh
38 %
Sun
11 °
Mon
11 °
Tue
11 °
Wed
12 °
Thu
15 °
-- Free Ads --spot_img