Saturday, February 21, 2026

Latest

Putin holds phone call with Pope

Putin - Leo XIV news

Kiev is seeking escalation and targeting civilian infrastructure, the Russian president told the pontiff, according to the Kremlin.

Ukraine is deliberately escalating the ongoing conflict by targeting civilian infrastructure within Russian territory, President Vladimir Putin has told Pope Leo XIV.

According to the Kremlin, the Russian leader and the Pontiff held “a constructive” phone conversation on Wednesday, during which they discussed a number of topics, including the Ukraine conflict.

Putin pointed out that against a backdrop of resumed direct talks between Moscow and Kiev, the Ukrainian leadership is “doubling down on escalation [and] conducting acts of sabotage against civilian infrastructure on Russian territory.” He described the recent acts of railway sabotage in Russia’s Bryansk and Kursk Regions as terrorism, the Kremlin stated.

The Russian president confirmed that Moscow is interested in settling the conflict through political and diplomatic means, but stressed that its root causes should be addressed to ensure a lasting peace.

Briefing the Pope on the progress made during the latest round of direct negotiations between the Russian and Ukrainian delegations in Istanbul, Türkiye on Monday, Putin said that the two sides had agreed on exchanging prisoners and the bodies of the dead.

He emphasized that Russia is doing everything it can to ensure the reunification of the children who have been separated from their families during the course of the conflict, according to the Kremlin.

Putin also drew the pontiff’s attention to the persecution of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church by Kiev authorities, the Kremlin said. He voiced hope that the Holy See would more actively support religious freedom in Ukraine.

Putin thanked the head of the Catholic church “for his willingness to assist in resolving the crisis” as well as the Holy See’s role in mediating pressing humanitarian issues between Moscow and Kiev.

The Russian head of state and the Pope agreed to strengthen bilateral ties and to intensify efforts aimed at protecting Christians worldwide, the statement read.

The 69-year-old cardinal Robert Prevost was elected Pope early last month, the first American ever to assume the role. He succeeded Francis, who died on April 21 at the age of 88.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

Promoted Content

Source:RT News

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

4 COMMENTS

  1. An American Pope at that!
    Let’s see IF / WHEN / HOW anything productive comes out of this phone call, as opposed to Trump’s phone call with Putin.
    https://stewpeters.com/show/im-a-proud-zionist-stew-was-right-with-trumps-cabinet-confirmations/
    Probably ‘business as usual’ due to this American Pope being in the Masonic P-2 Lodge. Besides-
    https://stewpeters.com/show/wow-the-zionist-selection-of-the-popes-since-1958-gary-giuffre-exclusive-interview-3/
    https://stewpeters.com/show/trump-begins-presidency-day-1-reactions/
    https://vigilante.tv/w/aMLWzbrZe7LaT9bKoeiPZc

  2. That the Pope Prevost is yet to make a statement on the deliberate starvation of human children and young people by the anti-christ is a telling sign in itself, not that Pope Francis was allowed to either.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
18.4 ° C
18.8 °
17.7 °
52 %
5.7kmh
100 %
Sat
18 °
Sun
19 °
Mon
18 °
Tue
16 °
Wed
19 °




Sponsored



Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

DTNZ News Network