Saturday, May 23, 2026

Fire breaks out on $8 billion US Navy destroyer

USS Zumwalt fire
USS Zumwalt. Image – @NavyLookout, X.

Three sailors were injured aboard the Navy’s problem-plagued stealth destroyer undergoing a hypersonic makeover.

Three sailors were injured after a fire broke out aboard USS Zumwalt while the stealth destroyer was sitting pierside at HII Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Mississippi, undergoing a costly modernization meant to give the ship a whole new identity.

One sailor was taken to a local hospital in stable condition, while two others were treated at the scene after the April 19 incident. The Navy is investigating the cause and the extent of the damage to the warship, a spokesman told USNI on Wednesday.

The troubled vessel has never participated in any combat mission and has become a byword for Pentagon overreach: flashy, fantastically expensive, and still trying to figure out what exactly it wants to be when it grows up.



The Zumwalt was originally built around two stealthy 155mm Advanced Gun Systems, but the ammunition became so absurdly expensive that the guns were ultimately ripped out. The turrets were replaced with 87-inch missile tubes for the Navy’s Conventional Prompt Strike system, while USNI said the ship is being converted into a “blue-water strike platform” for long-range hypersonic weapons.

Those hypersonic missiles, however, have yet to be fully developed and fielded on the ship. National Defense previously reported that the Navy wanted to begin CPS testing aboard Zumwalt in 2027 or 2028.

The Zumwalt-class destroyer programme consumed up to USD $24.5 billion for a fleet of just three ships, according to a 2018 GAO review, while media outlets described the vessel as an $8 billion blunder.

The fire comes as the Department of War shifts attention to an even grander vanity project – the proposed Trump-class battleship, with the first ship expected to cost more than $17 billion and some outside estimates pushing the price tag past $20 billion.

The programme was announced with much fanfare in December by President Donald Trump, alongside Navy Secretary John Phelan and Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, as part of a new “Golden Fleet” vision. Phelan was still out there this week touting the new battleship as the future of sea power – before abruptly “departing” the administration the next day.

Support DTNZ

DTNZ is committed to bringing Kiwis independent, not-for-profit news. We're up against the vast resources of the legacy mainstream media. Help us in the battle against them by donating today.

No login required to comment. Name, email and web site fields are optional. Please keep comments respectful, civil and constructive. Moderation times can vary from a few minutes to a few hours. Comments may also be scanned periodically by Artificial Intelligence to eliminate trolls and spam.

2 COMMENTS

  1. Maybe the Zumwalt wants to grow-up and become a German 212 / 214-series U-Boat…!
    https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/type-214.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_216_submarine
    A better buy for the buck, but the Old Boys have it all figured out on how to get rich off of BIW Stock and Raytheon…kinda like how Barron Trmp & Nancy Pelosi do business via insider trading and covert para-phrased phone calls!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wellington
overcast clouds
13 ° C
13.8 °
12.2 °
85 %
5.7kmh
100 %
Sat
13 °
Sun
14 °
Mon
14 °
Tue
13 °
Wed
13 °




Sponsored



Trending

Sport

Daily Life

Opinion

More News